Proctologically Violated=A9=AE wrote:
Awl--

For 1/2" to 1 1/4" copper pipe fittings.

Possible to desolder *and* be able to re-use them??
Worth the trouble for the various fittings, T's, unions, etc? 1 1/4

unions
are expensive!

Any special techniques beyond heating/wiping, heating/wiping? Wipe

w/
cloth, steel wool? With, w/o flux?
I think I've done, mebbe once, and it was a pita!

Btw, I found, at Home Despot, something called Tinning Flux, which

lightly
tins the surfaces `*before* you actually add solder.
I think this is pretty neat. Any opinions? I would imagine it cleans

as
well as non-tinning flux, but I haven't compared.

Thanks!

I've used that flux, it works well, but it's not a replacement for
proper cleaning of tubing and fitting before assembly. If you've got
clean surfaces, either the tinning flux or regular flux+solder will
work for tinning. If you didn't have flux or solder at all and were
tooling up for a one-time fixit job, I'd suggest the tinning flux.

As to your other question, unless the fittings are absolutely green or
physically damaged, there's no reason they couldn't be reused. If it's
recovered scrap from demolitions, just use a propane torch to heat up
the joints. As you say, new copper fittings are getting pricey these
days and I don't think the quality is what it was. I had to pick
through the bins the last time I bought fittings to find some that
didn't have defects. Only possible downside to recycling fittings
besides having to look them over well is that there may be some lead
solder on them, environmentally a no-no these days. Practically,
there's probably not enough remaining that it would leach out, but I
thought I'd just mention it.

Stan