jim rozen

In article m, bmwsid says...

Has anyone advised you to lubricate the splines on the rear
drive unit? I had a 1974R75/6, which has the same final drive setup.
I used a concoction of anti-sieze and grease, about 50/50, and
brushed it in there with a small acid brush. Then whenever you change
the rear tire, clean that out and re-lube it. It requires several
hundred dollars to have the splines replaced. Grease is much
cheaper.

The splines wear eventually no matter what. But the anti-sieze
is a good idea. I like the molydisulfide stuff.

I also vote for keeping the points. They might require attention
once a year, but if say, a hi-energy-impulse nuclear device is
detonated within a few hundred miles, you might have the only vehicle
running in your area.

Not as big an issue as a single-point electronics failure in the
Dyna unit. I carry spare points in the older bike, but I worry
about the electronics in the newest one. (the oldest ones carry
a spare magneto coil!)

I have replaced both seats on my beemers with Corbin seats,
and am glad I did. It is well worth the investment.

Folks are divided on this. Many swear by Sargent, and say that
corbin has sorta lost it.

Jim

please reply to: