Larry Jaques

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:30:13 GMT, the inscrutable pyotr filipivich
spake:

There is no educational value in the second time you get kicked by a
mule. Or don't hold a shotgun tight to your shoulder.

Doesn't everyone know better than that?

In the words of Tommy Smothers "Not Again!"

That reminds me of my first time shooting a 30.06. My father's friend
had his and I, being wise and brave at age 10, wanted to fire it. He
told me to hold it an inch away from my shoulder. When it almost took
my shoulder off and knocked me to the ground, I was tempted to wish
that he had put another round in there. I wanted to rip the guy's head
off, and I stayed mad at my dad for a week for not warning me. The
bone and cartilage bruises only lasted about six months, no biggie.
Needles ta slay, I didn't need to be reminded about holding a rifle
firmly against my shoulder after that.

I'm reminded of my friend and the keltec pistol. First time he'd fired
a semi-auto other than a 22. Left his left thumb on top of the grip, and
he got a slide bite. Rest of the day, you could watch him take the pistol,
get a good grip, and then move that thumb out of the way.

The first time I shot my pistol I had my grips wrong. My right hand
backed up my left at the back and the slide caught my right thumb
knuckle, taking a neat 1/16" x 1/4" slice out of the skin, much like a
cheese grater. It was then I remembered that the bracing hand goes in
FRONT of the shooting hand. C'est la guerre, non?

One can imagine
the mental checklist: "Good grip, sight picture, left thumb out of way,
sight picture, squeeze, squeeze ..."

....squeeze, squeeze, (Jayzuss, doesn't this thing ever fire) BANG!
4 feet of travel at a ten pound pull is what my P-11 seems to have.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==--
-Yoda, on a bad day
--
http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.