AlexW

RayDavis wrote:
Can anyone please tell me where I can get a decent budget compound mitre saw
from? Not bothered about laser guidance or other fancy bits, I just want
something basic and robust.

I just need it for some skirting and other odd jobs.

I bought one from B&Q for ~$30, but it can't cut straight (how one of these
manages to cut a curve across every mitred joint I don't know!).

Thanks

A while back I spent quite some time looking at (S)CMSs.

I had some B&Q jobs (c. £130) that went back due to bent fences and
other prob's. However others here have had more success with that brand
(and I suspect the models were actually different, the newer ones look
much better). Also, I had a Rexon which was great but no slide and the
laser adjustment screw sheared off during adjustment.

In the end I decided I wanted the slide and went for a DeWALT DW707, I
think you can get these for around £250 mark now sometimes with a
supporting stand/table. Its really good and very robust, but double my
original budget!

However, when you are done you could probably ebay it and recoup a lot
of the cost.

IIRC CMS/SCMS brands on my radar we

SIP
Axminster
Charnwood
Rexon
Ryobi
B&Q PP/PPro
Wickes
Makita - pro = £
Dewalt - pro = £
Metabo - pro = £
Bosch - pro = £

B&Q were doing a good deal on a 10" Ryobi CMS @ £80 a while back, from
what I recall the build and blade quality were better than avarage at
the price and the stops were very positive.

My advice would be to check out the saws in person and check for:

o Facility to adjust compound/mitre angle stops to at least 45 deg
(46-48 better).
o Facility to set the blade exactly to 90 deg for crosscut.
o Check blade for flexibility and the arbor/collar its attached to for
excessive movement.
o Check that any preset stops are positive, otherwise they may need to
be checked and adjusted a bit during use (which lessens their usefulness).
o Check fences are not bent or curved (I used a spirit level as a
straight edge in B&Q for that) - if so without clamping the workpiece
the timber can turn etc.
o Check that the turntable is the same height as the outer table.
o Find out the cost of a good quality new blade.
o Pick it up and move it around the shop - really. Some saws even at the
same weight are more easy to handle than others due the position and
orientation of the handle.
o Consider dust extraction too ... its the way forward IMO.

HTH,

Alex.