Prometheus

On 28 Apr 2005 05:05:51 -0700, "Buell Boy" wrote:

I've read a number of articles on this. One method said to use 1/2" PT
plywood 10" wide triangular shims every 24 inches to prevent water from
getting between the beams, and to let it dry out by the PT Plywood.

This seems odd to me since this would tend to weaken the beam? Does
anyone really do this? ALso I would thin kPT Plywood would be a lot
less durable than 2x10 PT? Is it really practical?

Also, let's say my header is 12' long. What carriage bolt spacing
should I use? I was thinking 24", staggered on-on-top, one-on-bottom?

Take a step back and make sure you're using the right material for the
application. I don't know what you're up to, but when someone says
"beam" I think "steel". Like I said, I have no idea what you're
doing, just make sure you're doing it the right way- saving a couple
of bucks does you no good if you're dead.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam