Jim K

WHen I moved into my house (built 1909 in Michigan) a couple of years
ago the previous owner left the basement a swamp. Here's some of the
things I did to help fix the problem.

Reattached the gutter spouts to spill the water about 4 feet from the
walls.

Added dirt near the walls to create a slope away from the walls.

Covered the water pipes with insulation to stop them from sweating.

Filled in some wall cracks with hydraulic cement.

My driveway runs up against the side of the house, so I sealed the
driveway to house seam with tar.

Sealed up door leading to outside against rain.

Added a dehumidifier. The first month or so I had it, it ran almost
continuously. The electric bill was really high and I was somewhat
worried. It took over a month to finally dry out the walls and floors
and now the dehumidifier hardly runs and my tools stay shiny.

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:57:08 +0200, Thor Legvold
wrote:

I've Google'd and read through most of what has been written on the
subject of controlling basement humidity. Before I run out and buy a
dehumidifier and/or plug in a heater or two, I had a question.

My house (brick & morter) was built in 1914 or thereabout. The walls of
the basement are not provided with a plastic barrier and modern
drainage system, nor do we plan on having it done. The current "fix" is
that all the basement windows are unfinshed - they are mounted and
shimmed, but with no moldings or isolation. Air circulates freely
around the frames and through the basement.

I'm wondering if a dehumidifier is going to have any effect when it's
basically working against nature, as the air in the basement is the
same as the ambient air outside (more or less). I have a nice little
workshop set up, have painted the floors and got ok lighting, but my
tools are rusting! Slowly but surely they are getting small spots and
rust areas, even the Lie-Nielsen planes I ordered last year. I've moved
them into the house, but I obviously cannot put all the tools inside,
no room for that.

Can anyone shed some light of possible solutions to the described situation?

Best regards,
Thor