"Michael Daly" wrote in message
On 28-Apr-2005, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

To overbuild is never a crime

Overbuilt can cause a failure. For example, if something is designed and
built correctly, it will tend to show excessive deflections before

failure,
providing a warning. Overbuilt things can fail spectacularly without
any warning. That could be a crime or at least expose you to a civil
lawsuit.

Mike

Um, I'm not so sure about this. In fact I'm trying to remember if I've ever
seen that happen. Do you have any specific cases?

I'd venture that things fail more often by being underbuilt, OR not being
built to plan. Such failures are commonplace.

Overbuilding is not particularly dangerous, but it is wasteful.

-j