Roger

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
The last porch posts I turned, I turned in two sections since my lathe does
not allow that long a piece. They were made from solid spruce logs in the
same manner as the posts still on the porch. These are about a century old
and still solid. I let the posts sit for about three weeks and then filled
the resultant splits with fitted wood wedges and body filler. While visiting
in England last fall I saw some posts in the Tower of London that had been
repaired in the same fashion. Once the posts were painted, no problem.

A very interesting possibility! I can get logs a whole lot cheaper than
dimension stock.

Thanks