Robin S.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

I still think you'll learn more in an hour watching a welder than you
will in a month of working out of a book. It's also very beneficial to
have an experienced welder watching you -- he can say "lift up your hand
a little - your angle's too steep" which you'd never know because you're
watching the puddle.

This is the inevitable "me too" post. I've been doing a couple of weeks of
welding here and there throughout my apprenticeship. I cannot imagine trying
to learn to weld without a capable welder near by. Frequently the problem is
as simple, as Grant said, as an angle or some other issue that is virtually
impossible to diagnose without a lot of experience.

While MIG welding is a start, you basically need a pulse and a functional
hand to make a nice MIG weld, in my experience. Arc welding in any position
other than 1F takes a fair amount of practice and at least some instruction
(although I guess if you have a _lot_ of patience....)

YMMV.

Regards

Robin