Greg Postma

AL wrote:
Do you think it is possible for one average sized adult to lift a 14'
upright (ie. the side portion) of a pallet rack. I've needed pallet racks
in my shop for some time. Every once in a while, used pallet racks will
show up in my area on ebay or in the local paper for a reasonable price. I
have a forklift but no dock. I can't figure out how to unload them from the
truck. I don't think I can balance 14' on my forklift. I thought about
getting a boom attachment but new ones are around $700 including shipping
and I haven't seen any used ones. So before I hire professionals and pay an
arm and a leg, I'm wondering if it is possible to unload one piece at a time
by hand. Has anyone tried this?

Al,
It is no problem moving pallet racks one piece at a time. In the
seventy's my family owned a public warehouse and we bought nearly 1000
sections of used racking. We move hundreds of the uprights by hand.

If you happen to buy used racking bundled, it is fairly easy to move the
uprights by sliding the forks under the bundle,tilt the forks all the
way forward,insert a tubafour(2x4) between front of the forks and the
bottom of the bundle, run a chain (or strap)over the bundle and under
the bottom of the forks (make sure the strap/chain is tight) and the
tilt the forks backward. The bundle will act like very long fork
extensions. i've done it many times. Just watch out for the swing on the
front of the bundle.And drive the jeep slowly.
IF my directions were unclear, send me an email and I will send you a
drawing of how to do it.