bmwsid

Mac,
Has anyone advised you to lubricate the splines on the rear
drive unit? I had a 1974R75/6, which has the same final drive setup.
I used a concoction of anti-sieze and grease, about 50/50, and
brushed it in there with a small acid brush. Then whenever you change
the rear tire, clean that out and re-lube it. It requires several
hundred dollars to have the splines replaced. Grease is much
cheaper.
Also, the transmission input shaft should also be lubricated
anually, where the clutch disc slides back and forth, same lube, same
way, you have to seperate the tranny from the engine, takes about an
hour, after you have done it a time or two. You also have to remove
the swing arm pivots to get the trans back, this is a good time to
check the lube there, too. I am on my second airhead, R100RT, 1991.
Has better power for two-up riding than the R75 had. I have a
single-side swingarm now, and no splines in the final drive/tire
connection.
I also vote for keeping the points. They might require attention
once a year, but if say, a hi-energy-impulse nuclear device is
detonated within a few hundred miles, you might have the only vehicle
running in your area.
I have replaced both seats on my beemers with Corbin seats,
and am glad I did. It is well worth the investment.
Watch out for shorting the diode board, they are pricey, but if
you know a radio Dr., diodes are really cheap.
The trannys are notoriously clunky, so that is most likely the
clunk you mentioned. It is cheap insurance to drain all fluids
yearly, and replace with good quality lubricants. It only takes 2
quarts of oil to change it, so don't be a piker, change it when it
starts getting easy to see on the dipstick. Oil filter, once a year.
Join the BMWMOA you wil find it worth the price.
Happy motoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sid, near Niagara Falls