Paul T.

I have one of those entry level drill doctors. SOmetimes, when I
sharpen large bits, the bit comes out with the point ground down. What
am I doing wrong and are these repairable?

I believe the inconsistency on the Drill Doctors is due to the method it
uses to rotate the drill to the correct angle so that the cam mechanism will
put the right relief angle on the drill. If the drill is rotated incorrectly
you will not get the right angle on the point.

The mechanism used to set this angle is a pair of sheet metal edges that
come out and are supposed to squeeze the drill inbetween the flutes and
rotate it to the correct angle.. I'm not convinced that even if it was
consistent that this method will work correctly for all drill sizes, but
even aside from that I'm having problems getting the drill rotated to the
correct angle to get ground properly.

I would prefer if they just showed you which angle the drill is supposed to
be oriented in the collet so you could do it by eye, but I guess I'll have
to play with the thing to figure that out.

On some drill sizes my Drill Doctor is working ok, but on the size I
actually needed it for I'm also getting the wrong relief angle.

Paul T.