ATP*

wrote in message
ups.com...
I concur on the thin steel and light weight. The ones we got were
origionally at a local Fred Meyer store and were used to hold building
material. They remind me of giant Gorilla Racks. Three of us
disassembled them and moved them to the plant. One man can easily carry
any single piece. The racks are rated at 8000 lbs. Two of us put them
back together.

Perhaps the racks you have been looking at are a different type, but I
think all I have ever seen have been made up of posts, beams and
bracing. All would come apart into individual pieces.

Paul

There are some that are made out of structural steel, I've only seen one
example of that type. The uprights for that type might get a little heavy,
but not forklift heavy.

ATP* wrote:
"AL" wrote in message
Do you think it is possible for one average sized adult to lift a

14'
upright (ie. the side portion) of a pallet rack. I've needed

pallet racks
in my shop for some time. Every once in a while, used pallet racks

will
show up in my area on ebay or in the local paper for a reasonable

price.
I have a forklift but no dock. I can't figure out how to unload

them from
the truck. I don't think I can balance 14' on my forklift. I

thought
about getting a boom attachment but new ones are around $700

including
shipping and I haven't seen any used ones. So before I hire

professionals
and pay an arm and a leg, I'm wondering if it is possible to unload

one
piece at a time by hand. Has anyone tried this?

I've assembled a few, they're typically not that heavy. If it is the

usual
stuff it's made out of pretty thin steel.