Grant Erwin

Modat22 wrote:

.. I tend to have a very ugly weld when I use a stick welder..

Try 7014 in the horizontal position, 3/32" rod, set to 90A DC+. It's really
easy rod, just strike an arc and let the rod burn, no need to manipulate it
at all. That's why they call it "farmer's rod". It does spatter a bit so if
you don't like dingleberries take a small chisel and a hammer and nip them
off cleanly.

Once you get good at 7014 move up to 7018. Much better stuff. You have to
fuss around keeping the rods dry and warm, but the welds look great and
are really strong and you can weld tool steels without the welds cracking
from hydrogen embrittlement because the rods are low hydrogen.

I still think you'll learn more in an hour watching a welder than you
will in a month of working out of a book. It's also very beneficial to
have an experienced welder watching you -- he can say "lift up your hand
a little - your angle's too steep" which you'd never know because you're
watching the puddle.

GWE