doubter

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:51:28 GMT, "Michael T"
wrote:

This garage door problem really has me stumped.

Fortunately here in Southern California it doesn't rain too often (except
for this year).

But when it does my garage door halts about half way down and then retracts
(i.e. opens).

You didn't say if this is a one-piece wooden door or a sectional door. If
it is the first it is likely the wood has absorbed a lot of moisture and is
now much heavier than when it was dry. This will upset the balance of the
door as it opens or closes and cause extra strain on the opener.

The first thing to try is to release the door from the opener by pulling
the cord and try to close the door manually. I should operate smoothly
with no undo exertion required.

You said you adjusted the down force (it isn't a speed adjustment) but you
didn't say how much. Unless the door wasn't properly set before you can
usually adjust the force enough to compensate for the extra weight.