Phil Munro

Andrew Koenig wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

I have a back door that has a deadbolt on it and is currently locked.
As you guessed it i have no key for it but i need to get it out so that
i can install a new one in its place.

Can you take the pins out of the hinges? If so, you should be able to
remove the entire door.

Has anyone on this group ever actually done this? If the door is
a reasonable fit, this probably will not work. Door edges are cut at
an angle on the latch side to allow them to open without rubbing but to
still have a snug fit.
Trying to open the door at the pin side (with pins removed) does
not have the angled clearance. Also, the lock may need bending
depending on how far the bolt goes into the frame.
How do I know this? I had an inside closet door once with an old
lock that could not be unlocked. I tried this, and could not get the
(tight) door to budge. Finally I used a hack saw to cut through the
brass lock. --Phil

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555