:::Jerry::::

"RichardS" wrote in message

snip

[ re ID cards ]

Although not proposed at the current time, compulsion to carry the

card will
only be a matter of time. It'll only take one more Blunkett of a

Secretary assisted by a large parliamentary majority, and it'll be

in.
Without compulsion to carry or produce, the cards are essentially

useless
for day-to-day identification purposes by the police. Perhaps

muggers and
terrorists will be compelled to produce their cards before they

commit their
crimes...

All quite correct, but what is so wrong in having to carry an ID card,
that is the point I'm trying to make, personally I can't see the need
for ID cards (certainly not for the reason Blair and Co. are giving)
but I can't see what the problems is with having to carry one if the
law demands it. I *can* see concerns about who could be entitled to
see and or access any information recorded on to the card, but then
many of the same concerns could be levelled at bank cards etc.