Mary Fisher

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

The responsible things to do is use a 3 lead mains cable and plug, and
connect
the ground to the metal frame.
Problem solved.

Nope. That's what Spouse said. It now has that (he did it) and there's
no change..

Then it is probably not being plugged into a properly grounded outlet.

It is. The house was completely re-wired some time ago. And no other
appliance demonstrates the same response.

At the very least, you should have him install a GFI outlet in the place
that the lamp is used. Better is to make sure that the safety ground on
the outlet really has a good, low impedence run to the main breaker box.

It's not worth it, it's no problem, it usually isn't touched at all (being
on a properly functioning and wired etc. time switch) and even if it is it's
not an unpleasant experience, certainly not a dangerous one.

Of course, he may have failed to properly connect the safety ground to the
metal parts of your lamp.

Phftttttttttt!

For "ground" read "earth"

I do.

For "outlet" read "socket"

O pefer outlet, having been taught that by an English electrician 53 years
ago. He was amused that I wanted to know what everything was.

For "GFI" read "RCD"

er- yes. Thanks :-)

I would agree with others that for an "Anglepoise" type lamp you would
ideally have a piece of braiding solidly linking each leg, but if you
have an earthed connection to the lampholder, and shielded "flex"
through the lamp you should be OK.

An alternative would be to use a say, 12 or 24V lamp and a proper
isolating transformer.

There's no alternative for my (non-anglepoise) lamp except a modern
reproduction which we don't want. I only mentioned it so that the OP didn't
think his lamp was unique!

Mary

--
Frank Erskine