James Sweet

"NSM" wrote in message news:6I_be.8261$HR1.3763@clgrps12...

"James Sweet" wrote in message
news:n3_be.6443$Yc.5945@trnddc06...

That would work too, though I would be concerned the magnet would fly

off
or
cause vibration. It is less sensitive to dirt though. A metal gear or

other
toothed object on the shaft (cooling fan in the motor?) and a

reluctance
pickup might work too.

The magnet has been used on autos for a long time. You could also drill

the
shaft and drive a roll pin through it - 2 pulses per revolution to a
reluctance pickup. But we still don't know why the OP wants to do this.
--

Speed regulation on a shaded pole motor I'm assuming, though they're usually
used in fans and such that don't need regulation but it shouldn't be hard to

Although they're horribly inneficient I do like many aspects of shaded pole
motors.