John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

Ok, I have to ask. The white building to the left of the shed - what is
the strange circular feature on the roof?

Previous occupant was a keen astronomer, and built it as an observatory.
The roof is approx a 1' thick concrete "donut" that used to carry a dome
(which as you can imagine was big!). Inside there was a 1.2m high
concrete plinth that carried his telescope. Impressive bit of kit - 5'
to 6' long, with what must have been a 1.5' objective lens diameter.

When he left, he took the dome and scope, nailed some chipboard over the
hole, and nailed on a single layer of felt! You can imagine what
happened the first time that rained. I got a "friend of a friend" who
was supposed to know about these things to fix it. He tried a more solid
wood roof to avoid it turning into a huge bird bath, but that was only
partly successful. He then bricked round the edge and rendered a
slightly convex surface over it, better but it still leaked. In the end
I got a real roofer to stick three layers of hot bonded felt onto it.
That finally fixed it.

With 20/20 hindsight I should have DIYed it and built an apex roof over
it, since the current building has too little headroom (only 6' under
the rim). Hence it is not much use as a workshop (hence the one I
built), but does have power and plenty of space, so makes for a handy
storage facility / utility space.

--
Cheers,

John.