Asimov

On 27 Apr 05 01:37:15
Karyudo wrote:

But did the set develop a fault that now gives excessive
scan or not, or does he want to reduce what is normal
on those TVs. Has the TV always been like [that]?

Yeah, it's always been like that, and no, there's no fault per se. But
I still feel that there's too much stuff being cut off. Titles on some
movies or TV shows, for example, are butted right up against the edge
of the screen -- and sometimes they're even cut off a bit. So I'm
guessing I'm missing part of the 'TV title safe' area?

I can change the horizontal position adjustment (P:04) from one
extreme to another, and still not see the very edge of the picture on
either side. I mean, this is *acceptable*, but it's not *optimal*.
It's disappointing to learn that this is likely not an easy tweak to
make. But I'm a persistent geek if nothing else, so I'd still be
interested to hear what I might have to do "under the hood" to have a
shot at reducing the overscan on my set.

Any further ideas?? (Thanks, everyone!)

There might be an off-value or mislabelled part in the deflection
circuitry. If there is a non-polar electro in the deflection circuitry
this may be the culprit affecting the width.

Another thing that may affect width is the high voltage being too low.
Recall that as the electron acceleration in the crt is increased the
beam becomes stiffer and requires more magnetism to deflect. This was
a classic case of a bad crt in the old days since as the beam got
weaker the width would increase. It would even follow the scene
brightness changes. I guess with better supply regulation this effect
is rarely seen in modern sets.

Well, if all else fails you might try robbing some power from the
horizontal deflection coil by adding a parallel load to it. Perhaps an
experimentally selected flame-proof resistor in series with a NP cap?
This is only a suggestion and not a known fix.

M*i*k*e

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!