Ken Weitzel

Electric dabbler wrote:
"Andrew McCall" wrote in message
om...

"Electric dabbler" wrote in message

"Andrew McCall" wrote in message
egroups.com...

Hi Folks,

I plugged my Japanese Sega Saturn into what I though was a step down
convertor in to a UK power socket, only to be horribly shocked when I
turned the thing on

I have opened the case, and I can see a few components on the PSU that
are damaged. These consist of:

1) A little green disc with legs, o5 220NA 53 is written on it, labeled
VR1 on the board. This has cracked open.

2) A resistor with red, purple, yellow red colours on it, labeled R63
on the board. This may not be damaged, it might just be scorching from
the little disc.

3) A fuse thats soldered onto the board, I can't really read the
markings as I cant rotate the fuse, its a glass one and what I can see
is V 1.6 - I presume this will be AC125V 1.6A which, is what the PSU
expects to be plugged into.

Sorry for my non-technical working, but its been years since I did any
electronics!

So - here are my questions!

Can anyone confirm what the parts are?

Does anyone think that anything else will be broken?

Can anyone in the UK supply me with the parts to fix this, or can
anyone reading this in the UK fix this for me?

I have money/PayPal funds waiting.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Andrew McCall

Hi Andrew,

I have never worked on a Sega Saturn, but have seen other things that
have
been blown up in a similar way. Sometimes very little is blown other
times
lots!

If you are lucky the green disc is connected across the mains supply,
used
to prevent mains surges from damaging the unit - in a similar way to the
'surge protector' mains sockets. These surges normally last microseconds
during which time it absorbs the excess energy, something it can't do
with a
permanent 240V supply connected to it so quite rightly it explodes!
Because
this device is used to prevent surges it is non-essential therefore can
be
removed (start flame war) , and if luck is very much on your side the
unit
will work with just a new 1.6A fuse and VR1 removed from the circuit
board..
The resistor is probably OK, its value sounds like 470K from your
description, use a cotton bud lightly moistened with mehtalated sprits to

snip

Hi...

Probably makes little difference, but sounds like
closer to 270k to me

Ken