Roland J Rankin Jr

WillR wrote:
It appears that Canada may make some moves on the copyright front as it
applies to downloading of material on the Internet.

See the Globe and Mail
http://www.globetechnology.com/servl...ry/Technology/

What is a starving artist/turner to do when people can download their
material and legally use it for free?

Because Canada is part of the old Commonwealth is is a bigger issue than
it seems. Most countries in the old Commonwealth still look to each
other for precedent law and cases -- so the ultimate effect is unknown.

I'm confused, I could see how this would hurt you if your in the selling
books and studies business, but as an artist and wood turner this
wouldn't affect you unless you've found some way to magically download wood?

Maybe I'm just naive.

Even if you were in the books and studies business. This would only
allow educators who paid for your materials, to redistribute to their
students, not to the general public. (Mayhap you want to start putting
together an educators kit, if you have allot of people reusing your
material?) This law would let educators use pictures from your website
when they are talking about what to do and what not to do, not let them
repeat your content verbatim. Unless of course your content was
completely made up entirely of Public Domain Knowledge. IMHO

Roland J Rankin Jr.