John D

What kind of Tig Welder are you using?

"Zipper" zipper777ATcomcastDOTnet wrote in message
I have a question, I'm welding thin (1mm) stainless steel using a TIG
welder. I don't have any real experince with TIG welding, and I'm having a
heck of a time getting it to start the arc. If I up the voltage then I have
too much heat and burn through the metal. I still sometimes have a hard
time starting the arc, but I can start the arc. If I drop the voltage then
no matter what I do I just can't start the arc. I've tried the trick of
running the TIG tip down the metal and it sparks a little bit, but nothing
else. What am I doing wrong? Sorry for the bad explantion, my real area of
knowedge is comptuers not metal working, I do this as a hobby only, and I
do it poorly at that.