Don Klipstein

In article , Jeff Bulach wrote:
I know this is a bit of a silly question, but then again if you don't ask
you will never know.

My girlfriend and I are having a discussion as to the placing of a
barometer.

I say an outside wall, she said an inside wall.

If the barometer reads significantly different inside and outside, then
you are in or close to serious doo-doo!

A truly properly placed barometer is in an outdoor shelter of such
design to have its internal pressure match the pressure of the atmosphere
outside it regardless of windspeed.
If the barometer is in a room with a window and it does not change as a
result of opening and closing the window, then the barometer is probably
reading the outside pressure accurately. Definitely if opening/closing
windows on other sides of the house also do not change the reading.

If the barometer reading falls fast enough to see it moving downwards or
it drops more than about .06 "inch" within half an hour, then there is a
good chance your main worry is not the barometer.

- Don Klipstein )