Rick

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:31:48 +0100, Ladybodger
wrote:

I have a garden wall 3' high by 10' and it slants into the top bed which
it supports. I doesn't seem to have too much cement between the bricks
so I don't know if it's a dry wall - there's a lot of weeds inbetween
the bricks which I have applied weed killer to. Anyway, what I thought
I'd do is spread cement over it and apply stone like exterior tiles to
it. Now do you think this would work and are there lightweight
exterior stone-look tiles or will I have to spend £2,500 having it
rebuilt properly? (I'd rather not!)
Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

This is a relativly simple DIY job, it takes some time to do, but is
not hard nor expensive. 2.5 grand for a rebuild is a RIP OFF.

I did a similar wall, what I did

Did one spade width down behind the wall, so there was no soil on it.

Knock wall down carefully, keeping as many of the bricks as possible,
clean off all the loose dirt and stuff. If you need extra bricks, buy
them now, and mix them in.

Foundation trench, one spade wide, 1 spade deep. Fill with concette to
2 inches below bottom of wall. Build wall, slowly with care - huge
sence of acheivment comes in here. If its a bit wonkey, that called
"character". Mine took literally weeks (but is bigger than yours), as
I woked slowly, also I was doing the divorce thing at the time, the
wall was very theraputic. Home from work, open a beer, and build a
couple of foot of wall.

The major work is mixing the concrete / mortar. If possible get your
hands on a mixer, you can sell it on at the end if you take care of
it.

Make garden good.

I reckon the total price will be neerer a couple of hundred quid,
which is a huge saving.

My second brickwork project is a house.

Enjoy
Rick