Art

YES, go out and by an APEX TV!!
"Karyudo" wrote in message
news
I've done a bit more searching, based on the fact that I now know the
chassis number can also tell me a lot!

I've found the complete set of service codes for the CTC197:

Parameter # Description:
0 Security Pass
1 Error code
2 Error code
3 Error code
4 Horiz Phase
5 EW DC (Horiz size)
6 Pin Cush Amplitude
7 Pincush Tilt
8 Pin Top Corner Correction
9 Pin Bottom Corner Correction
10 Vert Centering
11 Vert Size
12 Vert Countdown Mode
13 Red Bias
14 Green Bias
15 Blue Bias
16 Red Drive
17 Green Drive
18 Blue Drive
19 Gemstar OSD Horizontal
20 Gemstar OSD Vertical
21 Gemstar Horiz. PIP
22 Gemstar Vert. PIP
23 Gemstar PIP Window Vertical

...and sure enough, this matches what I've been able to figure out on
my own thus far.

However, I also found a forum conversation that goes thusly:

Q: "I've located the proper parameter in service mode to adjust the
horizontal width of my RCA TV, however, it doesn't affect the display
when altered. The vertical sizing and centering parameters do work. I
was using P5 which was indicated in the Service Manual for a CTC197
chassis. Any thoughts?"

A: "Your set may not have the option to adjust the pin or horizontal
size depending on the size of the TV and feature level it was built
with. I can guarantee that if it is smaller than a 27" it does not
have any horizontal adjustments available."

Sadly, this also matches what I've been able to figure out. So I guess
if the horizontal size can be changed, it won't be through the service
menu. Damn.

But did the set develop a fault that now gives excessive
scan or not, or does he want to reduce what is normal
on those TVs. Has the TV always been like [that]?

Yeah, it's always been like that, and no, there's no fault per se. But
I still feel that there's too much stuff being cut off. Titles on some
movies or TV shows, for example, are butted right up against the edge
of the screen -- and sometimes they're even cut off a bit. So I'm
guessing I'm missing part of the 'TV title safe' area?

I can change the horizontal position adjustment (P:04) from one
extreme to another, and still not see the very edge of the picture on
either side. I mean, this is *acceptable*, but it's not *optimal*.
It's disappointing to learn that this is likely not an easy tweak to
make. But I'm a persistent geek if nothing else, so I'd still be
interested to hear what I might have to do "under the hood" to have a
shot at reducing the overscan on my set.

Any further ideas?? (Thanks, everyone!)