Patriarch

Seismo Malm wrote in
.jyu.fi:

snip
While not exactly made from plywood (these are first bended, then
glued up) Alvar Aalto designed several chairs that were quite high end
in 1920's and 1930's and even designed and made for invidual orders.
Here is a link to a web page with images:
http://www.alvaraalto.fi/alvar/design/chair/english.htm

I think that especially the chair in top right corner is pretty qood
example what can be made from plywood and still be considerrerd of
being of very good quality. These chairs are still pretty expensive
today, despite of being mass produced.

I don't think that these are high end anymore cos of mass production
but I like them very much. Artek web pages have links where his
furniture is used, see
http://www.artek.fi

seismo malm (from finland)

An interesting contention: That high-end furniture cannot be
simultaneously mass produced. The contention is that exclusivity is
inherent in the 'quality' of the product, and replication, with no other
changes, somehow reduces the appropriateness of the design.

I contend that it only changes the price, and thereby, the
accessibility.

My best respects to the Finns, who, having relatively scarce physical
resources, and being few in number, have determined to, and largely
succeeded at, exporting intelligent, thoughtful design in selected
products, and done well thereby.

Patriarch