Leo Van Der Loo

Hello (Find a way)(to find some wood ?)

I do turn wood that was destined to be burned, chipped up or just left
to rot.
I also (pat myself on the back here G ) do know a lot of trees by just
looking at them, bark, shape, twigs and flower and leaf all help to get
the probable answer, still scratch my head often enough though.
Then I use a couple of books I have to get answers and also extend the
number of trees I will recognize.
Two of my favorite books are, The Audubon Society field guide to north
american trees (Comes in a eastern and western region volumes) and my
most favorite one, Trees in Canada, it covers native and introduced
trees in Canada and the northern US, this one is sold by Lee Valley.
It shows growing region, size, shape of trees, flowers,
seeds/berrys/fruit, mature bark and young bark in large pictures, it
also describes the wood in a lot of cases, like weight strength and
color of the wood.
It is a HAVE TO HAVE ONE, and not just for people that work with wood in
the raw, imo.
I get more wood than I can turn, and take some to the monthly turners
club meeting to be raffled of, the city here has a lot where logs are
dumped, and you can find all kinds of wood there, just for the taking,
there is probably some place where the local park or road crews dump
their wood, and that would also be a good place to visit, beside the woods.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

I got a little tired of turning glued-up blanks, so I'm getting myself
ready to grab a swede saw and head into the big forest near my place
to look for interesting deadfall. Though I'm all right at identifying
sawn lumber, I've got a few gaps in my ability to identify types of
trees in the wild (generally, I can only tell by the shape of the
leaves) Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on identifying
deadfall by bark or other characteristics, and/or a primer on handling
green wood for turning (I think I understand most of it, I just want
to brush up a bit) I'm also wondering if any of you folks use
firewood for turning- or is it usually too dry and end-checked to be
of value?

Looking forward to getting some projects on the lathe again- I've been
doing all flatwork since I moved into my new home, and the poor little
guy is looking lonely.

Thanks in advance!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam