David Deuchar

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Awhile ago Ernie's school was surplusing some welding rod so I picked up
a few fifty-pound cans of 8018. Today I finished up my last 7018 so I
opened my first can of 8018. Burns real sweet!

I know in the shipyards when they opened 50# cans the rod went straight
into the huge welding rod ovens where they were kept at something like
250°.
I don't own a welding rod oven nor would I want to keep this much rod hot
for as long as it will take for me to use it up (a long time). Should I
attempt to put a semi-airtight top on the open can? Should I put desiccant
in the can before I seal it? Should this (low hydrogen) rod really be
heated before use?

GWE

Whether they tin is freshly opened or not, drying the rods reduces the
preheat you need to apply.
Preheating a ship plate is expensive so drying the rods saves money.
For you it might be simpler to heat the plate a bit more.