:::Jerry::::

wrote in message
ups.com...
Joe wrote:
wrote:
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

If HMG want us to have compulsory ID cards then we will have
compulsory ID cards, like it or not.

wrong, obviously. The government and the governed always exist

in a
balance of power, and it must be so for society to remain

reasonably
healthy.

So if a new government, of whatever party, enacts a law on May 6th

(or
10th, or whenever it gets its act together) requiring compulsory

ID
cards, we can... do what, exactly?

Same as with the poll tax, not cooperate. If enough people refuse to
cooperate it becomes unworkable. If HMG prosecutes people for

walking
peacefully down the road, theres gonna be quite an outcry.

But they won't be prosecuting people for walking down the street, they
will be prosecuting people for not carrying their ID card, a slight
but important differnace. If there was a law that stated that all
drivers when driving had to have their drivers licence with them (as
there are in other domocratic countries), with the risk of being
prosecuted if they don't, would there be an outcry - hardly.
snip

It is in the end a balance of power, and government relies on the
governed mostly being willing to cooperate. People will cooperate

with
a lot, but not everything. A party that ceases to take notice of its
electorate quickly finds itself unelected.

We shall see, in just over a weeks time....