sPoNiX

Default Joining CT100 satellite cable

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 10:27:39 +0100, "Roger Moss"
wrote:

I have just been rewiring our house and have put a long length of CT100
cable (the stuff from B&Q) down from the loft to under the stairs, plus
further bits from under the stairs to where ever we might want the TV (and
the same for phone and network cabling) and was planning to join the
sections with coax plugs as required.

I was talking to a satellite system installer last week and he said you
could not have any joins in cable from a satellite dish. I really don't
want to hack off the new plaster to put in a single cable all the way down.
Is he right, or can it be joined?

In an ideal world there'd be no joints as joints lead to signal loss.

However in practice you can join the cable. Personally, I'd recommend
fitting 'F-Plugs' to the ends of the cable to be joined. Generally
these just 'screw' onto the end of a prepared cable. However, crimp
versions are available which need a special tool.

Then use a female-to-female threaded "F" barrel to joint the two
together.

If there is an chance whatsoever of the juction getting damp wrap it
in 'Self-amalgamating' tape (Not insulation tape!)

It's quite possible all the bits are availble from B&Q or screwfix.
The bits to look out for are shown he

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page7.htm

1x 090-3078 Threaded "F" barrel £0.29

2x 090-3076 Threaded "F" plug £0.16