Phil Addison

On 26 Apr 2005 12:19:51 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On 26 Apr 2005 04:47:42 -0700, in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

Liquid soaps: Most goods sold as liquid soaps are not, they are in
nearly every case sodium lauryl ethyl sulphate, aka

Too much emphasis on chemical name.

only mentioned it once. IMHO it needs to be there because IME people
will always say 'ah yeah but its not in my superfancy luxury shampoo.'
They need to see for themselves that it is, and learn that its by no
means the best for the job.

Much better in FAQ2 now that there is into before these big chemi names
hit the reader.

- white spirit: very irritant to skin, very slow to

One of my staples. Wouldn't be without it for getting rid off gooey
residues.

can you tell us specifically what it removes? I've never got anywhere
with it. I find its terrible on skin, some people get big red painful
areas from it, takes weeks to clear up.

Specifically it lifts dried on self adhesive labels; the ones that you
can't even scrape off without a struggle. Wet the label with it and
leave a few minutes, it will then peel off and you wipe the residue away
with a rag wetted with white spirit (anyone know what it is
chemically?).

Do you mean Jizer, as sold for engine cleaning? Very efficient for in
situ engine cleaning. Spray it on with garden sprayer, leave a while
then hose down (it's water soluble) perhaps with pressure washer!

no idea: would that not be soda?

No. It is a petrochemical type thin liquid, sold in motor accessory
shops as engine cleaner degreaser. Same as "Gunk" which does not seem to
be around anymore, at least in my area. It leaves the dirty oily dirt in
a state where it can be hosed off. It is water soluble.

If I have time before going away will look to see if label has more
info.

- bath brick: strong abrasive suited only to unfinished cast iron

Is that same as lava stone? If so, it's used for scrubbing hard skin

off
feet.

not pumice, but undercooked brick. Similar. No longer fashionable.

Yes, I meant pumice-stone block. Definitely not fashionable.

I believe the (conductive?) 'black' in the newsprint neutralises any
static charge meaning that you don't finish up with the glass covered

in
tiny dust particles. In my experience crumpled newspaper is the

*only*
way of adequately cleaning glass prior to picture framing.

not heard that explanation before.

I was shown the technique in a "Framers Workshop". That's a workshop
around here where you use their workshop and equipment to frame your own
pictures. You just pay for the glass and frame you use - they advise and
help you do it - quite brilliant.

Mrs Beeton: possibly the most famous writer on this

Is she out of copyright now?

I presume so, she was publishing books a century ago.

I meant that if so you could lift some of it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me