carl mciver

Default Welding a nut _inside_ a hole and stuff

Still working on the work table stands, and have some 4" channel, facing
up and made into something like a cross, as the part that attaches to the
semi truck brake drum base. The square tubing stanchion is welded to the
middle of the channel. The drum has wheel stud holes that are about an inch
or slightly smaller in them. I was going to use same sized bolts to secure
the channel base to the drum, but that's a bit more pricey and stronger than
really necessary, so it dawned on me that I could weld a nut with the right
point to point diameter (not the usual flat to flat size) inside the hole.
I can then put the right size hole in the channel and bolt 'er up. Is this
a good idea or is there another way to skin this cat?
I'm not sure of why I would ever need to remove the drum from the base
anyway, so I assume the drum can be welded, but does anyone have a reason
why I just can't weld it all together anyway? I could use the drum holes as
easy points to plug weld, too, but them's big holes to fill!

Getting the thing square has been a pain. My driveway and garage floor
aren't level, and trying to pull the stanchion over with weld (because I
forgot to make sure the bottom end of the tubing was perfectly square before
welding it in place) made me settle for "good enough." I had rod stubs
under the drum flange trying to make that at least level, but it wasn't that
accurate. Warning to those about to make the same mistake welding tubing:
Make sure the stuff is square first!