Patriarch

"Walt Cheever" wrote in
news:5S4be.18532$NU4.8092@attbi_s22:

snip
A local shop machines stone for buildings. When they had to do curved
sections they would calculate the heck out of it, then get a piece of
string and chalk and mark the radius on the shop floor to double check
the fit. Only after CNC machines and CAD did they find they could skip
this step.

After I lay it out on the floor, I generally change something to get it to
'look right' anyway. Most of the numbers are guesses, based on getting to
'looks right'.

Of course, gluing up a 13" circle to fit on a lathe with a 12" swing is a
good way to look the idiot in front of a couple of students in shop class.

Patriarch,
working in private, for good reason