Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Grant Erwin
wrote:

Awhile ago Ernie's school was surplusing some welding rod so I picked up
a few fifty-pound cans of 8018. Today I finished up my last 7018 so I
opened my first can of 8018. Burns real sweet!

I know in the shipyards when they opened 50# cans the rod went straight
into the huge welding rod ovens where they were kept at something like 250°.
I don't own a welding rod oven nor would I want to keep this much rod hot
for as long as it will take for me to use it up (a long time). Should I
attempt to put a semi-airtight top on the open can? Should I put desiccant
in the can before I seal it? Should this (low hydrogen) rod really be
heated before use?

GWE

A vacuum food sealer works fine for this.
Just make some long bags and seal it in 5 lb increments.
Or just use big ziplock bags.
Throw in some uncooked white rice to act as a desicant.