Larry Jaques

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:10:06 -0500, the inscrutable
spake:

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:25:43 -0500,
wrote:

Anyone here ever rebuild a 66 inline6 200. I am having problems with
the front suspension.

Richard

I have replaced on both sides--upper and lower control arms, all tie
rod ends, idler arm, sway bar bushings, strut rod bushings and have
gotten the car alighned. The problem is the passenger side inner tie
rod wants to bind up against the centerlink when turning one way and
the idler arm the other way. I can't figure it out. Maybe one you can
help me?

Two things come to mind. IF when you replaced the tie rod ends, the
ends weren't centered while being aligned. This can cause binding upon
turning and will seriously diminish the life of the joints. *It is
unsafe and should be repaired immediately.*

Second, which is how my truck showed me the error of my ways, is that
when the guy did the alignment, he left the threaded portion of the
bolt too close to a suspension piece. Loosen each of the adjusters
individually and rotate _just the compression collar the bolt goes
through, not the entire sleeve_ so the bolts don't hit when you turn
the assembly from lock to lock of the steering wheel. It's most easily
done when the front end of the car is supported at the lower ball
joints so the car is at normal ride height.

I did a whole lot of FE alignments while working for that body shop,
most of them on a Hunter 111A computerized system. The mechanical end
was always mine while I watched the body and paint men do their thing.

Do. Or do not. * Stylin' Web Design Services
There is no try. --Yoda *
http://www.diversify.com