Peter Parry

On 26 Apr 2005 04:47:42 -0700, wrote:

I've mostly written a cleaning FAQ, explaining the different types of
detergents and other types of cleaners.

Good effort, thank you. Some suggestions:-

Ecover washing up liquid: much better on skin than other washing
liquids. Can strip some household paints. Non toxic. Can also be used
as body wash and shampoo: mix a very little oil in for drier skin and
hair.

Almost completely ineffective as a detergent for cleaning anything
other than skin (I assume it is passable on that - I've never tried
it)

Many solvents are volatile, flammable, explosive, toxic and/or
drug-like. Ensure good ventilation.

- white spirit: very irritant to skin, very slow to evaporate.
Dissolves un-set oil based (gloss) paints. Not very versatile.

Safe to use on most plastics - denatures latex rubber gloves in
minutes.

- 1,1,1 trichloroethylene: aka spot dry cleaner, tippex thinner. One of
the higher cost solvents. Adequate ventilation essential. Never place
dry cleaned goods in a closed car.

Now banned except for a few industrial uses by the Montreal Protocol
(Ozone depleter) and unavailable. No longer used in dry cleaner or
Tippex.

- paraffin: very slow to evaporate, repels insects. Dissolves oils.

Causes corrosion.

- acetone, aka nail varnish remover:

Nail Varnish remover usually also contains Lanolin or similar

- nitromors: stong alkali? paint and varnish stripper

Methylene Chloride?

- orange solvent (?) aka sticky stuff remover (?) - is this orange oil?

d-Limonene (1-methyl-4-isopropenyl-1-cyclohexene)

- glo-fuel for model aircraft: various mixtures exist, contain methanol
and oils, toxic and explosive.

Doesn't this contain Ether as well?

Oxygen bleach: aka hydrogen peroxide, avoids the downsides of chlorine
bleaches, and does not discolour fabrics. Oxygen bleach can be used in
laundry.

Not as effective as a bactericide or disinfectant as Chlorine bleach

Limescale removers: (from weakest to strongest)
-------------------

Citric acid: weak limescale remover. Requires boiling and long
immersion time. Only effective on thin layers of scale. Available from
any chemist.

Also available at much lower price in most Indian Food stores.

Vinegar: good for minor descaling of hot taps. Restores shine. Heat the
tap first.

Distilled vinegar - wine and cider vinegars are pretty useless.

Phosphoric acid: toxic

Used in food so not that toxic.

Hydrochloris acid:

Hydrochloric