George

"Prometheus" wrote in message
I'm also wondering if any of you folks use
firewood for turning- or is it usually too dry and end-checked to be
of value?

Looking forward to getting some projects on the lathe again- I've been
doing all flatwork since I moved into my new home, and the poor little
guy is looking lonely.

Strange you should mention it. Just came in to brew up another cup before
doing just that. In my case, from a neighbor's heap. He got veneer trims,
some of which were 24" or so in length. As the bark was still firm, the end
checks run in about 2-3 inches at most. Makes about 18" available to me,
which is 2" more than the 3000 can handle. I'm cutting circles with the
chainsaw where the depth will exceed the 6 1/4 " available at the bandsaw,
trimming the endgrain to the approximate slope of the remaining long-grain
contour to reduce weight and promote balance.

Aside from that, any split firewood is a potential treasure. Once split, it
loses its tendency toward radial checks as long as the surface is sheltered.
Not uncommon to set aside pieces rather than using them to feed the furnace
at my house.

Check with your county extension service for lists of trees native to your
area, so you can limit your search through whatever book you choose. Field
Guide series are pretty good.