Prometheus

Default Getting to be nice enough to wander the woods a bit...

Hello all,

I got a little tired of turning glued-up blanks, so I'm getting myself
ready to grab a swede saw and head into the big forest near my place
to look for interesting deadfall. Though I'm all right at identifying
sawn lumber, I've got a few gaps in my ability to identify types of
trees in the wild (generally, I can only tell by the shape of the
leaves) Does anyone have a link to a quick primer on identifying
deadfall by bark or other characteristics, and/or a primer on handling
green wood for turning (I think I understand most of it, I just want
to brush up a bit) I'm also wondering if any of you folks use
firewood for turning- or is it usually too dry and end-checked to be
of value?

Looking forward to getting some projects on the lathe again- I've been
doing all flatwork since I moved into my new home, and the poor little
guy is looking lonely.

Thanks in advance!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam