David Billington

Default How to remove SS brazing flux ?

I have been using some SS/tooltip brazing flux which works fine for the
item, the trouble is it forms a very tenacious glassy residue. I have
been boiling it and a couple of hours seems to remove the flux residue
fairly well but was wondering if anyone had ideas about additions such
as acids or bases which might help it along. The glassy residue seems
very tough and resistant to a chipping hammer, that just locally chips
the surface. My sand blaster is currently not operational so thats not
an option. Shame it isn''t like aluminium welding flux, go away for an
hour and rinse off the remainder that pretty well dissolved itself.