ATP*

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
news
I have found tall welding tables preferable: 36" or even higher. Much
easier on the back. Very easy to kluge a stool to suit that height. Or a
platform for shorter people.
Can store lots of stuff underneath.

Did the same thing w/ a lathe--possibly the highest lathe you ever seen.
But it's great. Have a crude adjustable platform for others to use.

I have to raise my SB 10L. I am not tall by any means, but a few hours
working at the lathe gives me a good deal of neck strain.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Awhile back I discussed building a set of reconfigurable tools made
from
2 and 2 1/2" square tubing. I got two semi truck brake drums for nuthin'
today and started on building up a set of bases that are the brake drums
with the two inch tubing for a stanchion. At the top I'll have different
tops that pin up on top, such as bases for my vice, grinder, and so
forth.
By putting a plate over the top I now have a welding table, and a bigger
one
for putting on top of two. Make a tee for the top and I can put even
more
stuff, like having a base sticking out from under the table for a grinder
or
vice. Gotta get more 2 1/2 inch tubing though, the place seems to have
that
in short supply.
At any rate, before I start cutting up my square tubing, I wanted to
know what folks thought was better, a welding table that you work at
standing up or one that you sit down at. I plan on making/using a stool
if
I don't feel like standing. Also, what is the preferred height? I'm
about
six feet tall. I could whip up an stanchion extension on a shorter stand
and add the extension when I want to stand, but extra pieces adds more
slop,
which I despise.