Robert wrote:
I have 2 differential switches (ELCB's) in my electrical system.
One is rated at 0.03 Amps; the other at 0.30 Amps.

When plugged into a 20 Amp fused circuit, protected by the 0.03 Amp

switch,
my new 1600 Watt electric grass verticutter causes the switch to trip

at the
slightest (physical) resistance.

I dont know what a verticutter is, but presumably when this physical
resistance occurs, it is pressing against whatever its cutting, thus
making better connection with it, thus the earth leakage goes up.

When plugged into a circuit using the 0.30 Amp switch, after a short

test, I
have had no problems.

so the leakage is apx between 30mA and 300mA.

This does not sound normal to me; should I be worried?

No, just dont use your verticutter again, remove the cable etc so
no-one else does, otherwise it might fry you.

The fuse does not go, so does this mean there is a short to earth

somewhere?

yup. It wont be a wiring fault, the motor currents are too high. With a
wiring fault it would trip the instant it was switched on.

NT