Phil Addison

On 25 Apr 2005 18:45:17 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:
On 25 Apr 2005 16:09:44 -0700, in uk.d-i-y
wrote:

just that its unrealistic advice. If you want to get into it,

and the realistic advice is....?

I guess just removing the admonition to turn the CU off. Maybe say
'unplug the machine if possible first.'

So far I think the authors words are fine. It's no big deal to turn
off the mains switch for 5 minutes is it?

I cant imagine many following it. And I think you may find the risk
introduced by powering off to be greater than the risk of pulling a
machine out while plugged in. Consider the number of injuries and
deaths from stair falls per year, compared to electrocutions. I really
think its mistaken advice.

OK, I can see what you're getting at now. But consider this: A guy comes
home from work to find wifey in tears saying she was doing the washing
when water started pouring out from under the washer, then it smelt like
something was burning, and then there was a bang and the machine
stopped. Miraculously she knew where the stop-tap was and stopped the
flood. This machine is 15+ years old by the way.

The guy is pretty clueless but luckily knows a friend of a friend who
happens to know NT, and suggests ringing NT to ask if its ok to drag the
machine out to look for the leak (non of them realise the significance
of the other symptoms). I wonder what the answer would be.

Back to the FAQ in hand, perhaps we should extend the advise to assist
safe turning off of the CU, e.g. get a torch, warn people not to move
around in the dark, wait till it's daylight if possible, only turn off
the relevant mcb, run a portable light from a different circuit, don't
short neutral to earth even when power is off.... This could be a FAQ
in its own right!!

And its about time I stood myself up for all to
criticise ridicule and abuse by writing one!

Ahh... all is forgiven. Which one do you fancy?

Yep, you'll get your chance I started writing something and might
post it here to form a possible FAQ, but I'm unclear whether it really
comes under diy or not. I think it just about does, if only just - will
post later and see.

Great stuff.

Once considered doing a period electrics faq, but that might be more a
raq!

raq??

A lighting FAQ might be a likely candidate... or a part p faq?? But
really I'm too busy to try those atm.

Part Pee has to be one.

Is there by any chance some form of list anywhere of FAQs people would
like to see?

There is a list of the ones I think people might want here
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/FAQ_Prospec...tents_List.doc, and I am
looking for comments on it (not to mention content!). An interesting
project for someone with scripting skills could be to analyse past
uk.d-i-y topics to compile a list of the most frequently occurring
keywords (fok?).

There must also be some FAQs elsewhere online, some good
enough to save us reinventing the wheel.

Google? There are a few in our FAQ at the bottom of the contents page
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/contents.html. I'm open to specific suggestions
for additions.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/