Andrew McKay

John Rumm wrote:
OK, I accept that is your point of view, and don't have a problem with
it. My comment was more questioning the value of saying "Yup, I know the
answer to your question, but I don't want to tell you in case I make a
mistake and you sue me".

Can't disagree with that. But it has to be said that I don't actually
know what I am talking about (oo-err missus!) with respect to earthing
arrangements. I am not a qualified spark and nor do I pretend to be.

3 years ago before I did my C&G2381 I thought I knew it all. I had been
installing/repairing domestic electrical systems for 30+ years. I didn't
do the course on the basis that I expected it to train me as a spark (it
isn't that sort of course), but one of the things it definitely did
teach me was how little I knew about things like earthing, diversity,
cable sizing, you name it. Big alarm bells started clanging for me about
some of the things I was previously prepared to take on - none of it
unsafe in my view, but such work had always been without due respect for
the regs.

From that day forward I chose to restrict any further electrical work I
undertook to simple and straightforward stuff. Even though there has
been lots of work that I could feasibly have taken on, I won't do so
because it trips over that perimeter where I admit to "I don't actually
know what I'm up to once I get to this point".

So, when I see someone who is probably at about the stage which I was at
prior to me attending C&G2381 I respond as you've seen. Visions of
Robbie the Robot quoting "Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!" come to mind

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam