SteveB

"carl mciver" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Awhile back I discussed building a set of reconfigurable tools made
from
2 and 2 1/2" square tubing. I got two semi truck brake drums for nuthin'
today and started on building up a set of bases that are the brake drums
with the two inch tubing for a stanchion. At the top I'll have different
tops that pin up on top, such as bases for my vice, grinder, and so forth.
By putting a plate over the top I now have a welding table, and a bigger
one
for putting on top of two. Make a tee for the top and I can put even more
stuff, like having a base sticking out from under the table for a grinder
or
vice. Gotta get more 2 1/2 inch tubing though, the place seems to have
that
in short supply.
At any rate, before I start cutting up my square tubing, I wanted to
know what folks thought was better, a welding table that you work at
standing up or one that you sit down at. I plan on making/using a stool
if
I don't feel like standing. Also, what is the preferred height? I'm
about
six feet tall. I could whip up an stanchion extension on a shorter stand
and add the extension when I want to stand, but extra pieces adds more
slop,
which I despise.

I would build it to stand up at unless you are going to TIG. And build your
component elements at the same heights so that you can lay a long piece on
your table, and have it the same height as say your drill press table.

Engineer for the most unimaginable thing in the world, and you will cover
most things.

Steve