Phil Addison wrote:
On 25 Apr 2005 16:09:44 -0700, in uk.d-i-y wrote:

Depends how you have your options set. Take a look at

InternetOptions=
Settings= Check for newer versions of stored page...

I dont use IE, so dont need to use cumbersome key combinations to
access simple routine commands. If youre using IE, I can recommend
Opera, its about 10 years ahead of IE.

Think you're a bit out of date there. Mozilla Firefox is the one

these
days. Try it, its pretty good.

It is, but Opera does everthing that does and more, and has done for
years, and the nav controls are significantly better. So I still prefer
Opera. (Its odd how many people think Firefox was the first with tabbed
browsing!)

Notwithstanding that, IE is still the
most common browser, hence my advice which is meant for the

readership
at large not just for clever clogs.

Apart from which, what I said is that you *might* have to a do a
control-click on the refresh button. Can't be much simpler.

Yes, youre right there

The long
string above is only to view or set what cache options are set - or
doesn't opera offer that choice?

a) different route to get to the settings
b) one key to refresh a page, F5

I hope youre kidding.

No. In the event of a fault, as yet undiagnosed, it is possible

for
the
case to be live, or become so as it is moved. Yes, this is a

double
fault where the case is not earthed either.

What is your point?

just that its unrealistic advice. If you want to get into it,

and the realistic advice is....?

I guess just removing the admonition to turn the CU off. Maybe say
'unplug the machine if possible first.'

1. Consider the number of deaths per year per nation from

electrocution
by appliances.
2. Consider what percentage of those are caused by 2 simultaneous
faults.
3. Consider the odds of such a fault existing simply because your
machine isnt running. This doesnt give a reason to suspect such a

combi
of faults.

If it stays in, I suspect it will result in people stopping reading

and
looking elsewhere.

Its not my faq tho.

Well, it's not mine either, I'm just the editor trying to help the
author make the doc as useful as possible. If you have a contribution
it's best made in a positive way by suggesting what it should say,

not
just carping on about your superior knowledge.

yes, point taken

So yes, get writing, put
up an alternative form of words and lets see if it stands up to
scrutiny.

So far I think the authors words are fine. It's no big deal to turn

off
the mains switch for 5 minutes is it?

I cant imagine many following it. And I think you may find the risk
introduced by powering off to be greater than the risk of pulling a
machine out while plugged in. Consider the number of injuries and
deaths from stair falls per year, compared to electrocutions. I really
think its mistaken advice.

And its about time I stood myself up for all to
criticise ridicule and abuse by writing one!

Ahh... all is forgiven. Which one do you fancy?

Yep, you'll get your chance I started writing something and might
post it here to form a possible FAQ, but I'm unclear whether it really
comes under diy or not. I think it just about does, if only just - will
post later and see.

Once considered doing a period electrics faq, but that might be more a
raq!

A lighting FAQ might be a likely candidate... or a part p faq?? But
really I'm too busy to try those atm.

Is there by any chance some form of list anywhere of FAQs people would
like to see? There must also be some FAQs elsewhere online, some good
enough to save us reinventing the wheel.

NT