Lobster

Mike wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

Am currently doing a rewire and have a few questions please...

1. (the main question!). I'm proposing the following circuits - does
this plan sound sensible? BTW total floor area is 70m2; CU is a Volex
split-load item: http://tinyurl.com/7fe6m (Screwfix 82204). So:

Non-RCD protected:
a) upstairs lights, 6A MCB, 1.5mm T&E cable
b) downstairs lights, 6A MCB, 1.5mm T&E
c) linked smoke alarms, 6A MCB, 1.5mm T&E
d) downstairs ringmain feeding specifically the oven, fridge-freezer and
gas combi boiler, 32A MCD, 2.5mm T&E cable

RCD protected:
e) upstairs ringmain, 32A MCB, 2.5mm T&E
f) downstairs ringmain - all sockets other than those in circuit (d) 32A
MCB, 2.5mm T&E
g) electric shower, 40A MCB, 10mm T&E

I expect circuit (d) to cause most comment?!

I know some people don't like to do it but I'd put the smoke alarms on one
of the lighting circuits to give a check on there being power there. This
is fine by the regs if you use battery backed up alarms, which I would
recommend anyway as they are only a quid or so more expensive. This gives
you a spare circuit for future use.

Yes, I hummed and ha'd a bit over that one. And I will be using
battery-backup alarms. Maybe I'll change my mind!

I assume the 13A sockets in the kitchen are non RCD protected. Personally I
don't like that, especially those above the worktop.

No, under the above scheme, the kitchen sockets come under circuit (f),
ie RCD-protected: it's just the kitchen items specified in circuit (e)
which are not RCD'ed.

David