Rick

On 25 Apr 2005 11:25:03 -0700, wrote:

new poster in need of advice, and probably therapy.

We've been in our flat five years and last year we upgraded our lennox
warm air unit with a new boiler at a cost of £2400. (Happy to do this
as we appreciated the system and don't like rads.) However at that
time we'd also spent £400 plus on repairs for a gas multipoint
(Britony flexiflue)

This year the hot water went off again and our plumbers ordered a pcb
and thermocouple - said they'd have to be ordered from france as no-one
stocks them anymore. Three weeks later, still no parts. Got another
plumber, he changed a fuse, water working. One week later, off again.
He says don't need the other parts but need a new gas system. Cost is
prohibitive.

So, obviously we've decided on a new multipoint. This plumber says
don't touch anything British, they're the most unreliable. But I'm
concerned about getting parts for a european one. Also, why are the
parts so expensive? Finally, is a £300 installation cost for new
boiler reasonable? Any advice, is there anything to add to the lennox
which would give us hot water?

Surley this new boiler has to work for a year, or have you passed the
one year mark ?

I'd get a British Gas coverplan, and let it break down in 2weeks time
- but then I hate British Gas.

Rick