Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
mike wrote:
The primary reason for proprietary batteries is to keep the PROFIT up.
I read somewhere that there's more $ profit in a replacement battery
than in the orignal discounted laptop.

Like all spares, really. Or consumables. Ink jet cartridges etc.

If every device used the high-tech (currently LiIon) equivalent of the
AA battery that is available at any store, your laptop battery would
cost $10.

If you say so. I was more thinking of power tools that use the normal
Sub-C cell. To replace those with *decent* ones can cost more than the
entire tool.

Back to the original question.
About 3 years ago, there was a store popping up on every other corner
to recondition your laptop/drill/radio battery. They charged about half
the price of a new pack and guaranteed some percentage of full capacity.
Those stores are ALL gone. That should tell you something about the
results.

Never had those in the UK that I knew about. It was economical to replace
mobile phone cells on a DIY basis with like for like quality, but not
things like cheap power tools. Although the performance of those could
usually be improved with better than OEM cells.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.